Friday, June 24, 2011

Moments of Peace

We are in the midst of the "terrible twos" around here. 


It begins in the morning when I wake Ava up.   She's lying there so innocent and cute, sleepy-eyed and slowly smiling at me while I talk to her, tickle her and try as best I can to ease her into the day.  But the moment I swoop in to pick her up, it's whine city.  What happened to the little one who would pop right up and reach her arms out to me?  Now I've got a teenager in a two-year-old's body who does not want to get out of bed and I literally have to grab her legs and drag her toward me so that I can get some leverage and pick her up.  Great way to start every morning!

During the afternoon, whining and tantrums commence.  No, she doesn't want peanut butter and jelly for lunch!  How dare I suggest that?  When puzzle pieces don't fit, it's frustrating and getting upset is the only way to deal with it.  I won't let her have a cookie for a snack?  End.of.the.world.

Bed time is becoming increasingly difficult as well.  Ava will do everything in her power to drag out the routine.  She runs away from us when it's time to put her pjs on, refuses to let us brush her teeth (which results in us doing it the hard way, aka pinning her to the ground) and insists on reading every single book in her room.  By herself.  When she finally asks for water, it's my cue to put her in bed.  Water = bed.  And once said water has been drunk, there is no getting out of bed.  No, you don't need your diaper changed again since I just put a fresh one on half an hour ago.  No, we are not going to sit in the rocking chair; that opportunity has passed.  No, you don't need to take 5,092 toys to bed with you...good night, good bye, see you in the morning!  Cue me leaving the room and Ava crying hysterically for, oh, less than five minutes before finally falling asleep. 

Whew!

However, in the middle of all of this, there are moments of peace.

Playing outside is a sure way to keep Ava happy...and even better if Katie and Maddie are out too!





Ava also likes to blow bubbles...it buys us about a half hour of peace.  And let's face it: I like to blow bubbles too.  It's so relaxing, probably because for once you are forced to breathe deeply and slowly and those magical iridescent orbs floating around in the air are so pretty to watch! 


She has become fascinated with a drain cover that is always dotted with rocks.  This is her rock collection.  She picks them up, sorts them, moves them to new areas and then puts them back when she's finished.  Again, another half hour of peace.


Looking at the big picture, I know the tantrum phase is just that: a phase.  It too shall pass and one day, when she is a teenager giving me attitude about every little thing...I'll probably wish for the toddler tantrums.  In the meantime, I will enjoy every tiny moment of peace!























No comments:

Post a Comment