Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Bachelorette Weekend

My dear friend Barb is tying the knot in just a few short weeks, so to celebrate, we headed to Bonita Springs, FL for a girls' weekend full of sun, sleeping in, laughter, drinks, late-night conversations, ice cream...and one prank call.

7:30am flight = a full afternoon in Florida!
What is it about getting away with the girls that is so refreshing?  Back in the day, before marriages and kids, my girlfriends and I could plan a trip on a whim.  We'd choose a destination, book a last-minute flight and stay a week in a new locale.  Now, trips take planning.  Lots of planning.  It means asking for time off of work, stocking the fridge for your husband, making sure your child has enough clean clothes to last while you are away.  No longer is a girls' weekend a spur-of-the-moment decision...but it makes these trips feel so much more fun and appreciated!

Barb's bachelorette extravaganza in Florida was the perfect get-away.  Absolutely perfect.



Not where we stayed...but I couldn't NOT photograph this gorgeous house!
 
We sipped tropical drinks, like sex-on-the-beach and margaritas.  We ordered bottles of wine with dinner.  Pitchers of limeade beer were consumed by the pool.  Celebrations call for fun drinks, and plenty of them!



We also ate...a lot.  Bagels and fruit each morning; sandwiches and chips al fresco right on the beach.  None of us had to worry about cooking dinner.  We dined out each night, feasting on fresh seafood and salads or chicken fingers and fries.  It didn't matter - no cooking or cleaning involved! 

The first night was spent hysterically laughing over a pack of "Girls Night Out" cards, which contained questions both tame and wild - with the tame ones quickly being discarded in favor of the crazier ones.  A few rounds of drinks later and a pack of cards scattered all over the table, we finally decided to head back to the condo for beers and a dip in the hot tub.  Little did we know the guy driving in front of us would plaster all the information we needed about his logo business on the back of his car.  Prank calling ensued.  Good times!

We celebrated, laughed, shared stories and relaxed.  In the midst of it all, I looked at each of my friends and realized how gorgeous they are and how lucky I am to have women in my life with whom I can be myself.  Women who open up to me and allow me to do the same; fellow moms who offer advice or a word of empathy; partners in crime when I feel like getting a little crazy; friendships that have subtly changed over the years, but are good and stable and ever-lasting.


I am so glad we could all put our busy lives aside for a few days to celebrate Barb's upcoming wedding.  She deserves it, and I wish her and Matt a happy, healthy and FUN life together! 

No comments:

Post a Comment