Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Everything in Moderation

There was an article today on Yahoo titled "Seven Everyday Cancer Risks."  We all know tanning beds are bad.  But coffee was on there.  And alcohol.  I clearly remember reading articles, also on Yahoo, that coffee protects from certain cancers and that a glass of red wine is good for you. 

What's up, Yahoo?  Your articles contradict each other.  I find myself annoyed on a daily basis with the articles that are posted.  It reminds me of Lewis Black's comedy routine: "First they said eggs were good; then they said eggs were bad; eggs are good, eggs are bad - JUST MAKE UP YOUR MIND!  IT'S BREAKFAST!  I GOTTA EAT!" 

My sentiments exactly, Mr. Black.  I'm tired of the "this is good, no wait, it's bad" routine we are being bombarded with on a daily basis.  How about we all pull up a chair, have a coffee or glass of wine and just enjoy life?  I'm not saying to throw caution to the wind and do anything you please.  Eating fast food every day, not wearing sunscreen, drinking two pots of coffee at work or consuming a six pack of beers each night are not good things.  But if you make a drive-thru run once a week, buy makeup or lotion with sunscreen in it, have Starbucks each morning and a beer or two each night...eh?  Who cares?  It's all about moderation.

Little ones know how to enjoy life.  They know all about moderation.  A little play time, munch on a few grapes, watch a cartoon, color for ten minutes, eat a cookie, read a book, run through the sprinkler, make a mess with spaghetti...and on and on.  Their days are varied, what they eat is varied (hopefully - I guess this is mostly up to the parent!)  My point is that they do not read articles on Yahoo and worry about every little decision in their lives.  We could learn from them, these new-to-life free spirits who take things as they come and find pure joy in the small things, each and every day.




Everything in Moderation: The Sun

The sun is bad.  It will kill you!  Unless you buy this $50 sunscreen that boasts an SPF of 100,000.  Then you will be safe!  Or, you could just stay in your house at all times...but if you're near a window, please make sure you are wearing sunscreen and gloves.


Really?  Okay, maybe I exaggerated a little. 

I know the sun can be dangerous.  Heck, I've paid for my own teenage years of sunbathing and going to the tanning bed and working as a lifeguard in the form of basal cell carcinoma.  But now?  I play it safe.  I don't avoid the sun; I just protect myself.  And I protect Ava too, each and every time we are out in the sun.  She always wears sunblock! 

Why would I deprive her of splashing in her pool?  Of playing with the water hose?  Those activities are way more fun than sitting inside on a warm summer day!

"The itsy-bitsy spider..."

Everything in Moderation: Food

I try to maintain a good balance with food.  I search for healthy recipes, vary the types of meat and veggies we eat, I stay away from caffeine (mainly because it hurts my stomach and makes me feel jittery) and I drink a lot of water.  But real life is hectic and we do eat McDonald's.  I only buy organic once in a while.  If a label boasts "NO HFCS!" I will buy it...but I don't specifically search for products without it.

Homemade salsa.  Soooo much better than from a jar!
Thinking back on how I grew up, my mom was the same way.  We ate plenty of veggies and fruit and she made healthy dinners almost every night...but we also ordered take-out and snacked on chips or ice cream. 
I hope to pass the same lessons on to Ava.  She loves healthy food: grapes, applesauce, green beans, corn on the cob...but she also loves cookies and hot dogs and chips.  Already, we have balance!





Everything in Moderation: You Get It?

If you are like me and read those contradicting articles on Yahoo, I say...stop.  The internet is a wonderful thing, but it also causes us worry and stress we otherwise would not have.  Obsessing about anything is unhealthy.  Guess what "everyday" thing Yahoo should've added to that article?  The stress one feels when reading stuff like that!

Make good decisions, but allow yourself some wiggle room.  Eat a healthy dinner, and enjoy a bowl of ice cream later.  Play out in the sun, but wear sunscreen (those spray-on kinds are super quick to apply!).  Walk on a treadmill while watching your favorite reality show. 

Balance.  Moderation.  Good stuff!  


"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW, what a ride!'"  

No comments:

Post a Comment