Thursday, September 15, 2011

And the Cholestasis Verdict Is...

Nothing.  Yet. 

I've been to my doctor's office three times in the past four days and while I don't feel that I'm at square one anymore, I'm barely at square two. 

I finally saw my regular OB today, Dr. B, who knows about cholestasis, who knows what tests should be run, who knows the treatments...but who refused to give me medication until my lab results come back next week.  I mean, I do understand.  My initial liver profile came back normal, so we're waiting on the bile acid test.  The medication is one that requires continuous upping of the dosage for it to keep working and if I started it now, I'd be taking 10 or more pills a day by 35 weeks.  It would be a bit much. 

Dr. B did refer me to a high risk doctor on the north side of town - a doctor who is featured on one of the best cholestasis websites, Itchy Moms.  He agreed about not taking any medication until my bile acid test comes back.  If the test is positive, medication will be prescribed.  If it's negative...then it's back to itching and re-testing until the results change.  I will have an ultrasound with this high risk doctor in a little over a week and I'm assuming we'll develop a treatment plan from there - again, depending on that last test result. 

In the midst of all of this, I've missed a lot of work and it's been stressful dealing with lesson plans for subs, keeping the administrators up to date on my situation, etc.  I wish I could just fast forward to maternity leave and stop dealing with all of this!  I am sure once my student teacher takes over in a few weeks, I will feel much better.

For now, it's still a waiting and guessing game...I am trying not to worry too much, but based on my previous experience during my pregnancy with Ava, I know how quickly this condition can worsen and I'm afraid of going through weeks of testing and the agony of itching before getting relief.  Let's all pray this isn't the case.

No comments:

Post a Comment