Wednesday, October 27, 2010

I'm Gonna Get Through This

It's funny that this song was on the radio when I got in my car after work today.  I think it's a mantra I need to keep repeating to myself. 

Today was one of the worst days I've had since the first or second year of my teaching career.  Now mind you, I am sleep-deprived, so my emotions are fragile...but still.  Trying to make a point about the kids not using the words "gay" and "retarded" and getting nothing back but arguments?  Having to tell two kids at separate times to go wait in the hall until I could come out and talk to them for doing/saying inappropriate things?  Making the whole class stay after the bell - and dismissing the well-behaved kids one by one - and hearing arguments and excuses and "I didn't do nuthin" from those remaining?  Yeah...four loud boys ganging up on me is not how I like to end a class period.  I literally had to hold the tears back once they left, and that feeling is something I haven't had to deal with since my first year of teaching.  This is my ninth year!  I should be a pro by now!  But no...sometimes teachers have to deal with groups of students like this and it takes all we have just to make it through an entire school year. 

And that's where I'm at now.  It's the end of October.  We have a long school year still ahead of us.  What is going to help me get through it? 

Some days it's Starbucks.  Some days it's coming home and ordering takeout.  Other days it means grabbing a beer the minute I walk in the door.  (Wait a minute, why do all of those involve beverages or food?  Hmmm...) But most of all, it's the goals I have in mind for myself...my two-year plan.  It's certainly stressful trying to build up a business while having a full-time job, but days like this motivate me to make my dream come true. 

Because I can't write a blog post without including pictures, here are some I had tagged for earlier posts but didn't end up including them.  These - the pictures, the activities and events, Ava - are also helping me get through a rough school year.  




Tonight, Taco Bell and a beer are on the agenda...because apparently food and drink is my number one pick-me-up!  Here's hoping tomorrow is a better day.

2 comments:

  1. I think your sleep can definitely make a difference with performance. Things you once could tolerate or handle seem much more draining, annoying, and exhausting. You definitely have a teacher look (like a "you know you are in trouble" look), and I know you will be able to get those boys back on track.

    ReplyDelete