Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Goodbye Gray Cloud

No one else can feel it for you
Only you can let it in
No one else, no one else
Can speak the words on your lips
Drench yourself in words unspoken
Live your life with arms wide open
Today is where your book begins
The rest is still unwritten

~Natasha Bedingfield
Unwritten

For some reason, this song spoke to me today as I was driving home from work.  I've been in a funk the past few days.  It happens to all of us, when a gray cloud forms above our heads and follows us from one moment to the next, bringing us down and making us feel as though we're walking through a thick fog.  You start counting the cards dealt against you - bad weather, lack of sleep, no energy, a cold virus making its home in your nasal passages...and that gray cloud grows and multiplies and consumes you.  But eventually, the cloud breaks apart and you can finally, finally see the sun again.  Of course it helps when the sun is actually shining outside, as it is here in Indy today...a beautiful, vibrant fall sunshine in a cloud-free ocean of a sky, bouncing its rays off of orange and yellow leaves.  And as I listened to Unwritten on the radio, the gray cloud that had been following me around for days began to break apart as if in fast forward.  By the time I arrived home, the cloud was gone and I had a plan in mind to make the day even better.  

This:
And this:

































Some of this:









































A lot of this:



I'm glad I heard Unwritten today.  Sometimes we all need one simple thing - a hug, a chat on the phone with a good friend, an ice cold beer, or a song - to help that pesky gray cloud disappear.

Goodbye gray cloud.  I know I'll see you again, but I hope it's not for a long while.  The sun is strong when you're looking at the bright side!


5 comments:

  1. I am loving that hair! She is such a happy girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your daughter is a fan of Fall. She sure makes it look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures Alicia! Her pink shirt really pops among the fall leaves. I always enjoy checking out your blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such great shots - thanks for sharing Alicia!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know what?...Jason LOVES that song, too!!! You should ask him about it at work and see if he adjust his collar/undershirt, grin, and admit...YES!!! haha

    ReplyDelete