Thursday, July 8, 2010

Taking the Good With the Bad

I've been feeling very sluggish and unmotivated to do much lately.  I feel better if I drag myself out of bed before Ava wakes up, take a shower, put on make-up and choose a fairly decent outfit...but today I did all of that and still felt tired.  And lethargic.  And sloth-like.

I wish I were one of those people who perk up after a cup of coffee; instead I get caffeine headaches and an irritated stomach after just a few days of full-strength brew, not to mention that too much caffeine turns me into a hot, shaky mess.  This is unfortunate, because I love coffee.  But my body doesn't cooperate, so I have to compromise and drink decaf most of the time.  Even on these tired, sluggish days, a cup of caffeinated coffee does little to perk me up, so instead I have a day full of "off" moments....where I can't concentrate, can't get motivated to clean the house, where I spend hours in front of the TV instead of doing something productive. 

Ava has her "off" moments as well.  Moments where nothing seems to be going right.  She can't find her favorite toy.  Her teeth are breaking through and bothering her.  She doesn't get her way.  She wants something, but I can't figure out what it is and she gets frustrated. 


But I can fix it...for myself, AND for her.  I make myself feel better by starting one task, one simple chore - and it usually leads to another and another.  Or I get out of the house and go shopping for a while.  Hey, spending money is productive, right?!!  For Ava, depending on the time of day, I usually offer a snack first.  Nine times out of ten, THIS is why she was cranky...she was hungry!

Geez, what took Mom so long to figure out that I needed a snack? Nom, nom, nom...



After a snack, Ava definitely perks up.  Snacks are her cups of coffee.  She can then focus on the important things, like which toy to play with, how to pester the kitty, or if she should be cuddly or independent.  I wish I could say the same for me.  Snacks make me want to lounge in front of the TV even more!

In the grand scheme of things, Ava is pretty easy to please.  For myself, it's harder...which is part of the reason I started this blog.  If it weren't for looking at the bright side:

A messy room would eventually get on my nerves.  But a room full of toys means I have a happy, healthy toddler who plays and plays until she wears herself out.


Trying to get dinner ready with a hungry, cranky toddler underfoot is frustrating.  All she wants is to be held, but that is hard to do in conjunction with chopping veggies and stirring ground beef and draining pasta.  Thankfully all it takes to occupy her is my purse...
But at the end of the day, if you can look back and see the positives in what otherwise may have been negative moments, you've really accomplished something.  Sometimes productive tasks are FUN tasks, like ordering an 8x10 picture that YOU took, picking out a frame, and hanging it in the bathroom...and then marveling at the beauty of a captured moment, your baby in the tub with wet, clumpy lashes.





































Finally, if all else fails...pour yourself a glass of wine.  Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. I would say the most "productive" thing you did through all of that was be a really great mom!! :)

    ReplyDelete