Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Things You Probably Like That I...Don't...Like

For some reason, I've had this list in my head for quite a while.  I feel that I'm a pretty average person, but when I compare things that the majority of people like to myself...well, there's quite a bit of difference.  No matter how popular or how big a part of our culture these items are, I just can't get excited about them. 

Let's get to the list, shall we?

1. Dave Matthew's Band

I honestly do not get the following for this band.  I have never been to a concert, so I suppose I can't comment much about that particular experience, but it just blows my mind that people spend money to go to every show when he's in town.  It's...a guy...who sings...with a band...and instruments.  Nothing spectacular in my mind.  If I hear a Dave song on the radio, I usually change it.  Sorry, diehard fans.  I just do not get the popularity of DMB.

2. Adele

While we're on the topic of music, I also don't get the sudden large following for Adele.  I immediately change the station if I hear one of her songs on the radio.  Too slow, too depressing...her voice just doesn't do it for me.  Give me some Mariah Carey over Adele any day.  (Can't wait to get slammed for this one...ha!)

3. Pumpkin Spice Lattes

I love Starbucks...but I usually stick to my tried-and-true favorite, the mocha.  Every fall when they bring back the pumpkin spice latte, I get one, hoping that maybe, just maybe, it will taste good this time.  Nope.  The initial taste is actually fine, but after swallowing, you're left with an awful taste in your mouth.  I guess it's the pumpkin spice syrup they use.  I just can't get past that aftertaste!  Blech.

4. Apple Pie

A classic American favorite that is nowhere near my list of faves.  I will eat it.  But I will not love it.  I'm not a fan of cooked fruit in general, so this pie just doesn't do it for me.  I'd much rather have French silk.  Mmmm, chocolate.

5. Prime Time TV

Grey's Anatomy...Desperate Housewives...The Office...So You Think You Can Dance...American Idol...Mad Men...you guessed it - I don't watch these shows and countless others that air each evening between 8-10pm.  During that time I am usually finishing up editing photos, reading in bed and then going to sleep.  It's not that I don't enjoy TV...I just put it at the bottom of my list.  I'd much rather waste my time online anyway!

6. Sports

I am so flaky when it comes to sports and sports teams.  When I was a cheerleader in high school, I was behind our basketball team 100%...of course, it helped that they went on to become State Champs.  I've watched Colts games and cheered along with fans in rowdy bars.  But overall?  I just don't get excited about sports.  I'll never be a diehard fan, I'll never watch every single game, and I'll never put any time or effort into a fantasy team.

7.  Road Trips

Please, give me a plane.  I hate being in the car for more than a few hours to get somewhere.  It makes me tired and achy.  I don't care that it saves money, I don't care that you can stop and see interesting things along the way...I'd much rather get on a plane and reach my destination as soon as possible!

8. Harry Potter

Not once have I picked up one of these books.  Not once have I watched one of these movies.  I simply just don't have the desire.  Twilight, I finally got into.  The Hunger Games?  AWE-SOME!  But Harry Potter?  Nope.  Sorry.

9. Frosting

A lot of people think the best thing about a birthday cake is the frosting, but I find that many cakes have WAY too much of it and it's WAY too sugary.  It makes me feel sick to my stomach.  I always choose the piece with the least amount of frosting possible.  No roses, balloons or edge pieces for me!

10.  Hatred of Snow

I know there will be some who agree with me on this one.  I don't get people who live in climates where it snows and each year, they gripe and complain as soon as the first flakes begin to fall.  Maybe my stance would be different if my job wasn't affected by the snow.  Too much snow means a delay or closing, two things I love to hear!  Plus, I just love the quiet stillness at the beginning of a snowstorm...the big, fat flakes slowly swirling to the ground...how everything seems to become more beautiful from a blanket of white.  I have always loved the snow.  And hey, if it's going to be cold in the winter, it might as well snow!

What would you put on your list of "most people like these things, but I don't"?  I may just agree with you! 

2 comments:

  1. Dave Matthews Band? Like. But not die-hard.
    Adele? Eh.
    I agree about Pumpkin Spice Lattes. Chai tea lattes are better.
    Apple pie... remind me to have you try a piece of the apple pie gum I have.
    Prime Time TV. I, too, don't watch and don't get it.
    Sports. Do not like.
    Road trips. So college. Let's fly!
    Harry Potter. I beg to differ. I LOVE it. I think it's because I love England and boarding schools and secretly want a chemistry lab that looks like Snape's classroom.
    Frosting. LMAO! Pie = homogenized yumminess.
    Snow = WIN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on DMB, never been a fan. I'll have to agree to disagree with you on Adele though, I'm pretty fond of her songs though I will agree they are a bit depressing.

    I am not major into pumpkin spice lattes, either, I'm with you I'd much rather have a mocha!

    Apple pie though? I'm guess you've never had my grandmas.

    I'd love to say I'm not into tv, but oh that would be a lie lol

    Sports? I'm probably with you. I watch some games but I'm not huge into it at all.

    Road trips? I actually kind of like them. Or maybe I'm cheap. Flying 4 people anywhere both ways gets pricey.

    Harry Potter I love, but I can see how some people especially grownups wouldn't be into it as much.

    Frosting: growing up when store bought cakes were all the rage, I HATED frosting and actually started asking for cheesecake on my birthdays instead. The store bought cakes these days have much better frosting but I certainly don't need big gobs of it. I'm just glad they aren't crunchy anymore from all that sugar.

    Snow? Yeah it's pretty but I don't like cleaning it and I hate being cold, which I often easily am. So I can do without tons of snow but I'd be sad to not see it at all.

    ReplyDelete