Sunday, November 14, 2010

A Packed Calendar

A packed schedule means a full life...and what a full one I am living right now!  Weekdays have been filled with teaching, rushing off to late afternoon appointments, making dinner while a cranky Ava begs to be held, and then editing pictures before crashing into bed.  Weekends are much the same as we rush around to various social events, plan activities around Ava's nap time, shop for groceries, pick up the house, and somehow find the time for a date night once in a while.

But this just reminds me that sometimes I need to force myself to slow down, to take in every moment and ignore that "to-do" list every now and then.  This part of The Summer Day says it best:

I do know how to pay attention, how to fall down
into the grass, how to kneel down in the grass,
how to be idle and blessed, how to stroll through the fields,
which is what I have been doing all day.
Tell me, what else should I have done?
Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon?
Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?

~Mary Oliver

And yes, I do know how to slow down and take it all in...and my camera definitely helps.  It allows me to capture moments that I may otherwise have forgotten about in a week, a month, a few years. 

Moments such as these...

When Ava is playing and learning at the same time.


When she takes on the roll of Mama, following all necessary steps to diaper a teddy bear.

Step 1: Set out the changing pad.
 
Step 2: Get the diaper and wipes.
Step 3: Place the bear on the changing pad.

 Step 4: Enlist Grandma's help to get the diaper on.

Step 5: Inspect the diaper to make sure it's on properly.

Step 6: The bear pooped, so take the diaper off and wipe his bottom thoroughly.
  
Step 7: Throw your head back and laugh because as a mom, sometimes that's all you can do.

When putting on shoes takes precedence over playing.


When a Minnie Mouse doll becomes a baby who is fed (with a lemon bottle), burped and kissed.


Moments when her hair is falling onto flushed cheeks and for this one day, she truly looks like an angel.



I do enjoy the packed calendar, especially as the holidays grow closer and closer, but this year I am also going to slow down enough to savor both the big and small moments in life...and I know there will be many as we celebrate the season with our family and friends!

1 comment:

  1. I am glad the rainbow toy got a shout out!! Jason and I definitely worked with her on that one when we babysat, but she wasn't quite ready to solve the pyramid of colored donuts!! Loved the post, and I definitely enjoyed every moment we hung out with you guys on Saturday!! :)

    ReplyDelete