Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Balancing the Weekends

During the week, Jeremy and I make big plans for the weekend.  We email friends, plan game nights, hire a babysitter and go to dinner...our weekend nights are precious to us, a time to kick back and have fun after the work week.  The weekend days are another story.  We often come up with big to-do lists that we email back and forth during the week, tweaking and erasing and perfecting until we decide what we'll do to pass a Saturday afternoon.  Sometimes it means yard work.  Sometimes it means picking up around the house, doing laundry, or grocery shopping. 

This weekend it meant a trip to Garfield Park.  Because, as Jeremy likes to say, "I don't want to just sit around all day and do nothing."  The sun was peeking through the clouds at random intervals, warming the slightly chilly air, so we donned sweaters and jackets and headed out.

 
I had a selfish reason for agreeing to a park date: a new spot to take pictures.  I was hoping to get shots of Ava running through a field of dandelions or peeking out from behind a tree...but the pull of a jungle gym complete with stairs to walk up and slides to come down was too much for her.



At least I was able to catch her interaction with a squirrel.  Poor dude had no idea what was coming his way.
Thankfully, squirrels are faster than toddlers.

Going to the park on a Saturday morning may be part of a normal routine for some: these are the families who regularly go on picnics, who head to baseball practice and soccer games, who are always on the go.  We are not that family.  While it is nice to be outside enjoying the spring weather, to watch your kid run freely and go down the slide 20 times in a row, it is not something I am naturally drawn to.  I am more likely to be found in my pjs at 11am on a Saturday morning, debating with Jeremy which fast food place we should choose for lunch. 

Thankfully, I have a husband who sometimes pushes me to get out the door and play.  And by play, I mean taking Ava somewhere picture-worthy so I can capture the moment.  Hey, I can't let go of all my controlling tendencies.

And with the weather warming up, I actually do want to be outside.  Unfortunately, we've had a lot of cloudy and rainy days lately, so even though Saturday was spent outdoors...Sunday was back to normal, huddled inside in our pjs the entire day while the clouds opened up and drenched everything in sight.

I like the balance between the two.  Some days I agree with Jeremy: I don't want to just sit around and waste the day away.  The urge to be productive or to play outside with Ava pushes its way to the forefront of my mind and makes things happen.  Other times, I'm perfectly comfortable spending a day inside, lounging on the couch or the floor of the playroom while Ava entertains and chats and pulls me up with her little hands to have a tea party.  Or help her change her baby doll's diaper.  Or color.  Or attempt to eat an entire bag of carrots.  Whatever floats your boat.




Balance is good. 
























2 comments:

  1. Love the one of her hair when she just got off the slide :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alicia, every once in awhile I'll click on Jeremy's site with Ava's picture, your site always makes me smile. You do a good job!
    Danna

    ReplyDelete